To ensure the Training Kit’s success in promoting good PGIS practice, practitioners should adopt and use it broadly.
This Unit addresses basic notions of how to raise awareness on the use of the Training Kit within one’s own organisation and how to formulate a project proposal to obtain training support. It also provides guidance on what to do and which channels to tap to be up-to-date and network effectively with peers. Finally, it provides information about how to give feedback to the Training Kit’s designers and ensure that its future updates will be based on feedback from users and actual lessons learned.
Unit objectives / expected outcomes
After the completion of the Unit the trainee will be able to:
- list appropriate actions that underline the benefits of the Training Kit and encourage colleagues and supervisors to adopt it;
- obtain and utilise relevant information to formulate a proposal for organising a training workshop;
- identify and join online networks frequented by PGIS practitioners and researchers.
Content outline, main topics covered and suggested sequencing
This Unit focuses on the topics listed below:
- Methods of awareness raising
- Keeping up-to-date
- Submitting a proposal to obtain training support
- Contributing to the improvement of the Training Kit
Topics 1-3 (PPT No. 1) (25 min) followed by a Q&A session (20-25min) or as an alternative (PPT No. 1 including Q&A breaks) (45-50 min)
Components of the Unit
Handouts for Trainee (to be distributed in printed format):
- Adoption and Improvement of the Training Kit (Handout 4T)
- Draft briefing note for decision makers
- List of Additional Resources
Handouts for Trainee (to be distributed in digital format)
- Guidelines for the Submission of a Proposal for Training Support
- Promotional flyer (MS Word format – text only)
- Promotional flyer (PDF format – laid-out with images)
- Introduction to the Training Kit; Dr. Nigel Crawhall, Director of Secretariat at the Indigenous Peoples of Africa Coordinating Committee (IPACC), introduces the value of the Training Kit in promoting good practice and adding authority to local knowledge. (2:17 min)
- Introduction to the Training Kit; Giacomo Rambaldi, Sr. Programme Coordinator at CTA, introduces the Training Kit and its purpose. (2 min)
- PPT No. 1: How to Support the Adoption and Improvement of the Training Kit (25 min). The presentation includes a short video (2:17 min) on the “Introduction to the Training Kit” by Nigel Crawhall.
50 min – 1 hr