This Unit describes planning, monitoring and evaluation systems to support the advocacy component of participatory mapping.
The Unit introduces trainees to using different types of media to communicate the main advocacy message arising from participatory mapping work. Communication planning includes identifying relevant stakeholders, those who are the targets of change messages and different types of media to achieve the goals. The Unit aims to ensure that trainees will be able to develop a communication strategy drawing on different types of electronic and print media.
Unit objectives / expected outcomes
After the completion of the Unit the trainee will be able to:
- design communication strategies and plans for different constituencies;
- identify appropriate media for these constituencies;
- use various Web 2.0 platforms.
Content outline, main topics covered and suggested sequencing
This Unit focuses on the topics listed below:
- Processing and Packaging Information for Communication (Handout4T & PPT No. 1) (45 min)
- Web 2.0 Communications (Exercise No. 1) (½ day)
Components of the Unit
- Exercise No. 1: Web 2.0 Communications; to practise the use of Web 2.0 applications for promoting communications and networking with project partners (½ day)
Handouts for Trainee (to be distributed in printed format):
- Processing and Packaging Information for Communication (Handout4T)
- List of Additional Resources
- Unit Glossary
- PPT No. 1: Processing and Packaging Information for Communication; elements to consider when packaging information for advocacy related communications and network-building (45 min)
Additional trainer resources
- Harold C. Conklin, Pugguwon Lupaih and Miklos Pinther, Ethnographic Atlas of Ifugao: A Study of Environment, Culture and Society in Northern Luzon, Elliots Books, November 1980.
- Maya Atlas: The Struggle to Preserve Maya Land in Southern Belize. A project of the Mayan People of Southern Belize in cooperation with Toledo Maya Cultural Council – Toledo Aleades Association and UC Berkley Geography Department and GeoMap Mayan Web site. North Atlantic Books, Berkeley CA.
- Keith Thor Carlson and Xwelixweltel (editors), A Sto:lo-Coast Salish Historical Atlas, Douglas and McIntyre, 2006.
- The Nile River Awareness Kit, multimedia project (English and French)
- Mekong River Awareness Kit, multimedia project
Internet access, digital camera or digital images, computer, data projector (beamer), Google Earth loaded on computers