This Unit describes techniques to assist the interviewer in developing and delivering interviews with community members. It discusses the preparatory requirements for conducting the interview, the equipment necessary, the choice of places to complete the interview and possibilities for recording the interview. It reviews approaches to conducting interviews (e.g. structured, semi-structured or more open-ended interview styles) and focus group discussions and how the choice of interview style can affect the outcomes. The Unit includes an analysis of biases that interviewers may impose upon subjects if interviewers are unaware of the positions that they occupy and how these biases may be circumvented.
Unit objectives / expected outcomes
After the completion of the Unit the trainee will be able to:
- discuss the art of interviewing;
- prepare the interview;
- ask the right questions and listen actively;
- use maps during the interview;
- conclude the interview correctly and courteously.
Content outline, main topics covered and suggested sequencing
This Unit focuses on the topics listed below:
- Interviewing techniques (PPT No. 1: Interviewing Techniques: Documentation) (45 min)
- Interviewing techniques (Exercises No. 1 to 4) (2 ¾ hrs)
Alternatively conduct each exercise after the corresponding section of the PPT presentation.
Components of the Unit
- Exercise No. 1: Planning Your Interview; to establish an interview topic and develop an interview plan ( 45 min)
- Exercise No. 2: Setting Up Your Interview; to organise an interview, determine when and where the interview will take place and prepare the specific details for the interview ( 30 min)
- Exercise No. 3: Conducting the Interview; to conduct an interview (45 min)
- Exercise No. 4: Evaluating the Interview; to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the interview processes and the different techniques and styles used and to discuss the overall experience of conducting an interview and the process of being interviewed (45 min)
- Unit Glossary
Handouts for Trainee (to be distributed in printed format):
- PPT No. 1: Documentation: Interviewing Techniques; This provides an overview of the procedures that one might employ when preparing for an interview, conducting an interview, and concluding an interview (45 min)
Note pads, pens, pencils, computer and beamer, audio recorder (optional)